Buy all of the materials for your Cupcake Costume:
- Large toy tub (sorry, can't remember what the actual size was, but we got them from target and they are large round plastic tubs with two handles on the side)
- 5 - 6 pieces of Poster Board - we chose Hot Pink, but you could use whatever color you want, I believe we used 5 or 6 pieces for each cupcake
- Polyfill - we bought the loose polyfill in a large bag from Walmart, I believe it was $10 - this is more than enough for 2 costumes
- 1 yard of white tulle
- 1 package of Pom-Poms
- Wide Ribbon to use for the straps
- Duct Tape - we used zebra, but you can just use regular duct tape because you won't see it
- Hot Glue - LOTS OF IT!!!!!!
- Last, but not least - WINE, wine and more wine
The first thing you will need to do is cut the bottom off of the large tub. We started cutting it with a saw, but then we were able to use scissors to finish the job! We initially bought small laundry baskets which were only $3 a piece, but they were WAY too small!! I can't believe we actually thought our tooshies would fit inside a tiny little laundry basket. I guess it looked big until we cut the bottom of it off and tried to fit our butts into it, DIDN'T WORK!
Once we got the bottom of the tubs cut-off we had to pose in them - we thought they were so cute before we even got started!
Accordian fold the posterboard - we folded each piece into about 2 inch sections. Once you have 5 or 6 posterboards folded, you need to get the hot glue gun heated and ready to go!
NOTE: After we got done with the cupcakes, we realized the posterboard was way too long, so we had to cut it once it was hot glued to the tub. I would suggest if you would like the cupcake to be shorter (trust me, you do!) to cut it before doing the accordian fold.
Take the first piece of posterboard and put hot glue onto the tub and stick poster board to it, also do this on the bottom of the tub. Repeat this all the way around until you have the bottom of the cupcake completed.
Great Job! You just finished the easiest part of the project. You should probably stop at this time and drink at least 1 glass of wine, this is a MANDATORY step, DO NOT SKIP!!! Trust me, you will need this for your sanity :)
As you can see the cupcakes hit us right below our knees, once they are completed they are much shorter!
Ok, have you had a glass of wine?? If not, please go back to Step 2, then continue!
Grab a large piece of polyfill from the bag and roll it out into a "long log-like shape".
Put hot glue onto the top lip of the tub and stick polyfill down (make sure not to burn yourself, I think we each burnt off a few fingerprints in this process). Continue doing this until all of the polyfill is glued down.
This is a step we skipped in the beginning, but is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL!!!! You'll see :)
Cut a piece of tulle large enough to go all the way around the tub and cover the polyfill. We chose to use duct tape instead of hot glue because we had hot glued our fingers too many times prior to this.
AGAIN, you should probably have another glass of wine or dinner if you haven't eaten any yet :)
Take the tulle and place over the polyfill, have a lot of duct tape already cut into small pieces. Tape the tulle down on the inside of the tub and on the outside, inside of the accordian folds. Make sure the tulle stays in place, this is what keeps the polyfill on the cupcake.
Glue Pom Poms onto the top of the tulle. We used some poms from Michaels that were pink and purple with a hint of sparkle. This is the step you can really show your personality and use whatever combination of colors that you want!
We definitely wanted to stick with the pink theme :)
Once your sexy-self is ready to step into public and show-off this insanely cute cupcake costume, you must do the following:
- Get as girly as possible!!!
- Extremely high heels, pink if you have them
- Curl hair
- Do your make-up as cute as your possibly can, add a TON of glitter!
- Add cute pink bracelets, earrings, necklaces, whatever you can
- Wear a white top so it blends in with the frosting
I hope you enjoy making your cupcake costume as much as we did! Remember, it's a lot of work and you definitely need 2 people, it probably took us about 6 total hours over about 3 days.
REMEMBER, be patient and the results will pay off!!
What are you going to be for halloween? Let me know if you make one of these!!